Friday, September 17, 2010

My last blog

Today was my last day in the clinic. Since the work has been so hard I thought leaving the clinic would feel more exhilarating but it didn't. I am sad to go. After two weeks, I am just starting to get the knack for how things are run in the clinic (or not run). Telling my patients goodbye was very difficult and they all had such nice things to say.  They would get sad when I said it was my last day.They all wanted to take pictures with me and give me hugs. It is amazing how appreciative they are. I have never received this much praise in the US.  One of my patients who had a hip fracture from the earthquake and still cannot walk told me that she wished I had been her PT in the beginning because she would be normal by now.  I have been working really hard with her using pilates exercises and have seen some amazing gains.  It was so great to hear her say that but it makes me sad that she did not receive better care sooner. A lot of the patients say that they want me to come back again. As great as the experience with the patients has been, it is hard to say that I will ever come back. I wish I could at least find out how everyone is doing and to know that they will eventually walk again.

Hearing the patients appreciation makes me feel like this whole experience was beyond worth it. I was worried that I would not make a difference. It is hard to explain how much I have grown as a physical therapist and as a person from this experience. I want to thank my patients for that. I have learned so much here in Haiti and I will not return to the United States the same person. These memories will stay with me forever. 

In 2 weeks here in Haiti, I feel like I have experienced a whole years worth of physical therapy. It has been an amazing experience, and I like I said, I don't think I have ever worked so hard in my entire life. I came here looking to help people who had been injured in the earthquake. I have always wanted to work overseas but never thought my physical therapy skills could be of use. This experience has taught me how important physical therapy is. The people that did not receive physical therapy are so weak and are struggling more in their rehab than I would have seen in the united states. At the same time, I have seen a culture that is so strong and despite tragedy, is able to smile, laugh, and work hard to get back to their lives. I have seen a kid with only one leg help lift the patients in the wheel chairs into the back of the truck. I wont name any names but a certain physical therapist I am working with could not get a patient into the back of the truck, but the kid with one leg was so determined, he lifted the patient all by himself. 

My stories from this experience are endless and I cannot fathom writing them all in a blog. I can't wait to get home and enjoy the cool San Francisco breeze,  see all my friends and family, and share my stories with you.  Also, I can't wait for the snow season. On these hot days, all I think about it making snow angels :)

Bye bye (that is creole for good bye)and thanks for reading my blog and thanks for all your support from home. See you all soon

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment